Preserve brand reputation by keeping unwanted comments at bay.
Whatever you share online becomes accessible to many people, which allows them to engage in the form of comments, for example. However, this had led to trolling behavior, offensive remarks, and other forms of hateful communication. If you’re a business page, these might drive off potential customers.
To minimize such incidents, it’s important to effectively manage comments on your socials. There are plenty of ways to do this—one of which is disabling the comments section.
P.S. If you’re looking to get more positive engagement on your post on Facebook, you can check out this service to get more Facebook comments from real and active users.
Managing Comments on Facebook
When you’re an influencer or a business page, it’s almost normal for you to deal with hundreds (or thousands!) of comments each day—on multiple platforms, even. It can be overwhelming and sometimes, impossible to keep track of all.
But it is through engagements that you get to build relationships with your audience. Before you know it, these conversations are transformed to revenue.
Types of Facebook Comments You Want to Avoid
If you happen to encounter these types of comments, you might want to consider hiding or disable comments for a while and respond later to preserve brand reputation.
- Spam. These contain links that may send a user to sites with viruses and malware.
- Self-Promotions. You can usually tell this one off by how the comment was written (excessive use of emojis, grammatical errors, etc.). These usually appear on Facebook ads.
- Inappropriate comments. These include explicit language, lewd remarks, and even racist and homophobic statements.
- Trolls. Most of these are paid dummy accounts used as a means to destroy your brand image.
How to Disable Facebook Comments
Unfortunately, Facebook doesn’t allow any more disabling comments on a Page. You can, however, still turn off comments on Group posts—guaranteed that you’re an admin. Here’s how to do it:
- From the Group page, select the post or posts you want to disable comments from.
- Click on the three-dotted icon in the upper right corner of the post.
- Select “Turn Off Comments.”
- All comments for this post will be restricted.
But for profiles, you can disable comments by adjusting your privacy settings.
From the home page, click the drop-down arrow on the top-right part and select “Settings.”
There, you can adjust your privacy settings. You can choose who can see your posts: Facebook has default options such as Public, Friends, etc., or you can create your own list.
Hiding and Deleting Comments on Facebook
Apart from disabling comments, Facebook gives you the choice to either delete or hide a comment. This is especially helpful when your Page gets spammed daily.
Hiding a comment from a post will keep it from everyone except the person who posted it and their friends. The user won’t be notified, but you can always unhide it and come up with a well-thought response.
Deleting, on the other hand, is a permanent action. While the user won’t get notified that their comment got deleted, if they decide to revisit your Page, they’ll be aware of the action. This can be risky since the issue can get blown up.
If troll accounts start to affect your brand image and even impact business activities, it’s best to just turn off your comments for a while and deal with spammers first. You can block them or better yet, report them to Facebook.
How to Respond to Comments Better on Facebook
Now that you know what options you have when it comes to managing Facebook comments, here are some tips to follow on how to respond and engage appropriately to angry or frustrated comments.
- Obviously, when you’re in the wrong, acknowledge your error and apologize immediately.
- Keep responses short and straight to the point. Angry customers, for example, can’t be bothered to read stories.
- If you can, try to offer an incentive in exchange for the bad customer experience.
- Be transparent. Reassure them that you’re to take action on the issue.
If you ever need more tips on tricks to comment on Facebook, you can check out this post about the best Facebook commenting tricks.
FAQs About Facebook Comments
Here are some frequently asked questions about Facebook comments.
Can I turn off comments from Facebook Ads
For Facebook ads, you can disable comments using Facebook Moderation. You can access this through your Page Settings > General > Page Moderation. This will hide incoming comments to your posts and ads.
Can I review Facebook comments before they are posted?
For profiles, enable your “Timeline Review.” This allows you to review posts before it becomes visible on your Feed. You can also access this through “Account Settings.”
Is it possible to curate my timeline?
For Pages, you can control your comments. One is by hiding comments with specific words. This puts a limit on these words from showing up on your timeline.
- From the homepage, go to your “Account Settings,” then choose the “Timeline and Tagging” option on the left-hand side.
- Click the “Edit” button beside “Hide comments containing certain words from your timeline.”
- And then proceed to add keywords you want to hide.
Managing a Facebook page is one thing, but trying to keep it together is another. Filter unwanted comments to avoid driving away your audience.